Skip to main content

USMLE step 1- 260


Hey guys, this is my experience:
•Graduated in May 2017, from An­Najah National University\Palestine.
•Target score: 250+
•Stages of my preparation:
1- First First Aid read + Dr. Turco Biochemistry Videos (Biochemistry was my weakest area)~ took about 2 months, during this time I traveled once, and after that I did the step 2 CS exam and Hands-on experience in the US ..
2- BACK to step 1, I purchased UW by the end of March 2019, started with the first run UW along with FA together ~ took about 5 months
1st run UW score: 65+%
3- FA thorough read and memorization ~ took me about 3 weeks.
4- Second run UW along with FA ~ one month
2nd run UW score: 85+%
During that time I started doing some of the NBMEs, the thing I did wrong is that some were offline, my scores were in the range of 230 - 245.
5- Then on 22 Dec 2019, I did an online NBME, it was NBME 23, scored around 235, the score wasn’t meeting my goals, I was devastated at that point, but actually it was the best thing because It helped me addressing my weak points, so I worked on them for a few days and that made a huge difference!
6- I scheduled my exam on 15 Jan 2020, and I decided to do my best and try to be ready by that time.
7- About two weeks before the scheduled date I started reviewing about 2-3 systems/ day, used to wake up early in the morning, start studying for about 15 hours/ day with few short breaks inbetween.
I wanted to let my assessments decide for me whether to take the test or postpone it, so I did 3 online assessments:
NBME 21: 250 (7 Jan 2020)
I had a weak area and it was biostatistics, so that day I revised all the biostatistics from FA and UW.
UWSA1: 260 (8 Jan 2020)
UWSA2: 260 (9 Jan 2020)
So I decided to take it ..
8- I decided to keep calm and stress-free, tried to eat and sleep well, and 2 days before the exam I traveled to Jordan (the center of my exam), the day before the exam I revised some of the biochemistry charts, some random CT scan images I googled, I started feeling anxious so I went for a walk at about 5:00 P.m., also I watched the tutorial before going to sleep, then went to sleep at 8:00 p.m., I woke up early, had my breakfast, took my coffee and snacks and went to the center..
•Since doing the second run of UW, I trained myself to do 2 blocks in a row each time!
•I skipped the tutorial except for the headphone check, also followed the order of 2 blocks/ break/ 2 blocks/ break/ 1 block/ break/ 1 block/ break/ 1 block during the exam.
•The results were 3 weeks after the real exam date, scored 260.
•Preparation days were not easy at all, lots of stress but we have to stay positive and never give up!
•I used to write down ‏everything I did during the day before I go to sleep to encourage myself.
Good luck everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step 2 CK Experience (280)--vvimp

• Background: Hello everyone. This is Hasan Alarouri, a Jordanian graduate of Jordan University of Science and Technology (2017). I started my dedicated preparation for Step 2 CK during my internship, and the total duration was around 15 months. Owing to how helpful this group had been during my preparation, and the rarity of experiences similar to mine (Step 2 CK prior to Step 1), I thought I’ll have to share my experience with you. • USMLE Scores: Step 1: not done yet Step 2 CK: 280 Step 2 CS: Passed • Self assessment scores: Free120: 96% (5 mistakes); 5 months prior to exam NBME 4: 6 mistakes (offline); 4 months prior to exam NBME 7: 13 mistakes (offline); 3 months prior to exam NBME 6: 5 mistakes (offline); 2.5 months prior to exam NBME 8: 279 (online; 8 mistakes); 2 months prior to exam UWSA1: 286 (10 mistakes); 1 month prior to exam UWSA2: 274 (15 mistakes); 2 weeks prior to exam • Preparation duration and hours studied each day: The total duration was 15. This was supposed ...

Guidance of USMLE

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates : 1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days. 2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment. 3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents. 4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic informati...

Mazin Shaikhoun---- MATCH 2019. MUST READ THIS.

Last Friday, I knew that I have matched to the Internal Medicine residency program at Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York. A program that my wife Setana Idriss and I have chosen as our top rank and we both matched into it as a couple. All praise goes to ALLAH for making this dream come true. In this post, I will share my experience and the steps that I have taken on this journey. I will break it down in bullet points by dates to make it easier to follow the story. -Disclaimer: *This could be the longest post you’ve ever read in your life! *I have attached my personal statement that I have used in my application. DO NOT COPY-PASTE any part of it and use it in your application as it might cause YOU a problem. Here we go: -April 2010, I graduated Medical School from Al-Neelain University. -Dec. 2011, finished my internship in Sudan. By that time I was not able to afford to go to the UK “although I have already passed my Royal College Exams by this time”. I was ready t...