Skip to main content

My step 1 experience




This group has helped me a lot in my preparation so I thought I should share my experience so that it can be useful for someone and also this is for people like me who are old IMGs and have already finished their post-graduation who feel it is impossible . A little background- I graduated in 2015 , did post-graduation in ophthalmology from 2015-2018 and came to America in January 2019.
Test date - 27 Nov 2019
Test Score - 246
Score date - 18 Dec 2019
Total duration - 9 months( March 2019-Nov 2019)
Hours per day - 7-8 hrs in the start and 12 hrs in the last 3 months
Resources -1) Kaplan videos - for the first 3 months I went through the kaplan videos for all the subjects except patho. I did not read the notes separately at any given time. I found the videos helpful for understanding the concepts as I had forgotten after my postgraduation. But in my opinion , if the concepts are fresh ,I feel skipping the videos would be fine.
2)UWorld - I had also started solving Uworld from the beginning though the speed was very slow.I would advise everyone to start Uworld early in the preparation.As everyone says, it is indeed GOLD.It gets monotonous at some point of time but do not rush or get impatient with the explanations.Go through all the explanations atleast when you are doing for the first time.My first round of uworld took 4 months , second round 2 months and in the third round, I went through the marked and the incorrects. First pass - 67% subjectwise , second pass 79% timed random mode .
3) First Aid- It is the most important book for step 1. Each and everyline of FA is a question in itself. So read it very carefully and multiple times ( I did it 4 times).
4)Pathoma videos are really good and 1-3 chapters are very important. Did pathoma videos once.
5) Rx Qbank - It is a good qbank to add apart from UWorld. I would suggest that one should try using a second qbank because you are exposed to different type of questions.It helps in developing question solving skills.
Keep resources minimum as REVISION is the key to this exam.It is all about how fast it clicks you and how accurately you are able to recollect things. I would say REVISE ,REVISE and REVISE.
I started NBMEs in July and i would suggest everyone to start early so that you can gauge your progress.
Offline -
NBME 13 (7/1/2019) - 44 mistakes
NBME 19 (8/1/2019)- 37 mistakes
NBME 16 (8/20/2019)- 37 mistakes
NBME 15 (8/31/2019) - 31 mistakes
NBME 17 (9/20/2019)- 25 mistakes
Online-
NBME 18 (7/17/2019) - 219 ( didnt know it was predictive and needs to be done in the end)
NBME 20 (8/10/2019) - 228
NBME 22 (9/30/2019) -238
NBME 23 (10/15/2019)- 234
NBME 24 (10/26/2019) -228
NBME 21 (11/9/2019) -242
UWSA 1 (9/13/2019) -247
UWSA 2 (11/16/2019)-258
Free120 (11/16/2019) - 81 %
Keep NBME 18, 21 ,UWSA 2 for the final month.
Exam - skipped the tutorial after checking the headphones. Took break after every block (roughly of 7-10 mins each). Had taken coconut water , lime juice , chocolates and a sandwich. I will suggest to wear pocketless pants or tracks as it will save time needed for security check and to carry something that will keep you warm incase it gets too cold because of the AC
Last thoughts -
1) You are never going to feel prepared but do not push the exam for too long.
2)Sleep well before the exam.
3)Visit the centre few days before the exam ,it will help decreasing the anxiety levels.
4)Do not panic during exam if you are unable to recollect or see weird stuff.It is okay to not know things make the best guess you can and move ahead.
4)Do not get dissappointed,depressed or demotivated if the NBME scores are not great. Keep going , keep revising and most important do not lose HOPE !!!!! Have faith in yourself , BREATHE and tell yourself you can do it !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step 1--- 243

Hello everyone,  I gave my step 1 exam on Oct 24th, and just got my score - 243  :)   I wanted to write this experience to all those out there who are struggling with the exam, hopefully it will motivate and give proper guidance which I lacked. My exam prep duration -  15 months (July 2016 to Oct 2017) I took a break of 2 months in between and again a break of 4 months later on for my rotations.  Total prep time being 9 months (last 2 months dedicated period with 8-10 hours of study; other months I studied for 6-8hrs a day.)  ----------------------- Resources used -  FA and UW; added selected kaplan videos (for biochem, immunology); Dr. Steven lectures for Behav; Pathoma videos; Kaplan behav book; Shelf notes for anatomy ------------------------ Preparation:  I took a baseline Nbme 12 at the very beginning - got 130 (June ending 2016)  I was doing my internship at that time - juggled between step 1 prep and the duties. Later I took off f...

Series of confusing topics for usmle candidate's

I have already declared in my experience part that I will discuss about "100 confusing topics". This is the First one for you- Surely you may get 4/5 marks more from this topics in the real test because it is very very high yield topics. Topic 1: Fatty acid catabolism 1. Hypoketotic hypoglycemia with intracellular fatty acyl carnitines on muscle biopsy- it may be LCAD or MCAD deficiency. If question says carnitine is present, that means carnitine can't be deficient, because if it were, then you would only get fatty acyl-CoA derivatives but not anything carnitines related. Therefore, the answer here would be MCAD or LCAD deficiency. 2. Intestinal FA that are 12 or more carbons in length are absorbed in lymph and bypass liver. 12+ carbon FA are termed long chain. So, if the question stem mentions the classic hypoketotic hypoglycemia and then tells you the build up of 16C FA like palmitic acid, than the answer is LCAD deficiency, not MCAD deficiency. 3. Acetyl...

RESIDENCY INTERVIEW EVALUATION FORM

I have attached a sample evaluation form that is used to evaluate applicants during an interview. You can score a theoretical maximum of 120 points. Let’s discuss it in detail: 1) USMLE Scores (2 to 10 points): After you get the interview, your scores do matter but not to the same extent as interview skills! You can score 10 points provided you have great scores which correspond to >=245 on step 1 and >=253 on CK. Step 3 is not mentioned on the form and its importance varies depending on the specialty that you are applying and the program. For e.g. Psychiatry places a great weightage on step 3 while IM is not that rigid about step 3. 2) Medical Knowledge (other than USMLE scores) (0 to 10 points): When you are asked any clinical question, this is where your clinical experience will help you. A person who has strong clinical experience will nail this section vs. a person who does not have clinical experience will not be able to create an impression in this section. 3) Me...