Skip to main content

Firas Ghomraoui------ MATCH 2019



Hello everyone!
Congratulations to all who have matched! You truly are beasts. For those who haven't, I feel you. I'm sharing my experience here in hopes to reflect and uplift.
Bottomline:
Matched in my #1 choice for internal medicine, 2nd match cycle.
Credentials:
Exams:
-Step 1: 233
-Step 2CK: 244; CS: Pass (First Attempt)
-Step 3: 212
YOG: 2017
Visa status: Non-US IMG
Clinical experience:
-4 months in North America (3 months in US, 1 in Canada); 2 of the US months were hands-on and 1 was an observership; all were done prior to graduation during my last year of medical school
-Currently doing an IM residency in my home country (1.5 years elapsed)
Research experience: 10 overall projects, 5 published (4 pubmed indexed; 2 of which I'm first author) with 14 overall conference presentations (4 of which in the US)
Extras:
Fluent in English, Spanish, French, and Arabic. Interested in history, philosophy, science, linguistics, literature, and calligraphy (below is why I mention these)
Last year's (2018) match experience:
Number of programs applied: 98; all IM
Number of IVs: 2 *** CONNECTIONS INVOLVED ***
Result: NO MATCH
--> Brief description/reflection:
Come March 2018 at exactly 11 pm ET.
I was devastated. I felt hollow, crushed, shameful, and utterly defeated. What I have been dreaming up for so many years, saved up money for, and studied my butt off to all seemed to evaporate into an abyss of melancholy and depression. An existential crisis ensues.
I called up a friend of mine who was applying with me, and he did not match also. The common pain was palpable, and match week painfully passed by as we witnessed our peers celebrating their matches. It was as though we were in a fugue state.
However, a renewed sense of purpose ignited in me, and the essence of human survival through the eons was on full display once more: perseverance in spite of adversity. From the ashes, a phoenix will rise once more.
This year's match experience (2019):
Number of programs applied: 230 IM, 60 peds
Number of IVs: 7 (5 IM, 2 peds) *** NO CONNECTIONS INVOLVED ***
Result: MATCHED! (1st Choice)
Pointers:
1- Step 3
--> Definitely helped me by increasing the number of interviews I got (x3.5). Plus, it was noted by a lot of the programs that I interviewed at as a plus point. Try to finish it before applying on September the 15th for repeat applicants, and all you need to do is pass (unless you wanted to compensate for lower scores in previous steps)
2- Overconfidence kills!
--> Since it was my first time last time, thinking I had a solid application and great chances, I let my guard down a bit and did not prepare very well for my interviews. I might've come across as a bit arrogant. It didn't help as well on match day when I thought I would match no sweat, and hence the crushing sense of defeat that gripped me.
This year, I went to my interviews prepared. I was careful on shaping my pitch to advertise myself, was more aware of social cues and the like. Furthermore, I reined in my confidence as match day approached and was careful to ground myself and not be too optimistic. Really made a difference in the experience overall, and my emotional reaction was subsequently wild on match day!
3- Stand out!
--> This is why I mentioned the "EXTRAS" section above. Be sure you have some "cool points" in your background of acquired skills/hobbies where you can really make them remember you. I had several interviews where the program director was asking me how I learned these languages (and spontaneously used my answer to highlight my time management skills, since I learned them during medical school) or another interview where we carried out intellectual conversations. One also told me to write their name in calligraphy. LET THEM REMEMBER YOU.
4- Personal Statement
--> In light of point #2, last year's personal statement was horrible. It was negative and had the air of over-confidence that might put of anyone, let alone a program director. Even a bigger problem, I did not review it extensively nor did I lot of more experienced peers to view it.
This year, I revamped my personal statement thoroughly to reflect the real me through a more down-to-earth, carefully crafted and honest lens, with extensive review by peers.
5- LORs
--> Last year, I was obsessed with attaching only US LORs, even though one was unwaived and the other was from the observership, which I didn't know the content of. This year, I used one US LOR, one Canadian LOR, and 2 from my residency program of US-trained doctors who knew me and my work very well and was sure they'd write great, personalized LORs (ALL WAIVED). Bottomline: Better to attach personalized waived LORs from outside the US (American-trained physicians are an added bonus!) then an unwaived or mediocre LOR from the US.
6- Apply broader
--> A symptom again of overconfidence! (and to lesser extent financial restraints). I am interested primarily in internal medicine, but would not mind pediatrics since it also involves inpatient work, which I love (hence I applied to some this year). The more programs, the more the chance. For some IMGs, it is a real wedge issue to choose either specialty or country. I was lucky to end up with both on my second trial.
7- Plan B!
Whether a home residency or extra exams for other countries, always have a plan B while maintaining the US as plan A. My home residency served 3 purposes for me: (1) clinical experience, (2) financial support and (3) a cushion to fall back onto if my plans go awry, which they did last year. Plus, I sat for Canadian board exams in the meantime and mentally prepared for a possible MRCP or New Zealand route as I waited for my match results. Bottomline: hope for the best, but expect the worst, and always have something in hand.
8- Match buddy
It is always nice to share this very demanding experience with someone else! The friends I confided in shared the same tragedies, and some were turned to triumphs this time around. Having this connection will uplift you from the darkest of wells, put back on your feet, and eventually accomplish this highly-sought objective. I am grateful for those people in my life!
To conclude, I again wish those who matched the best in their prospective careers, and to those who didn't, you are not alone, your pain will transform into your inner flame, and you shall be triumphant! Feel free to contact me for further info 
P.S. I have documented my turbulent, 3.5-year-long US journey through photos, some of which I am sharing in this post . Good luck to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY Step 2 CK Experience 284 Medhat Farwati

Dear (future) Doctors, I am Medhat Farwati, a Syrian graduate from Aleppo University, Faculty of Medicine. Hereby I share with you my experience with Step 2 CK. 1. Score: 284 2. Self-assessments: UWSA 1: 273 (2 months out) UWSA 2: 276 ( 1 week out) NBME 7: 277 (1 week out) NBME 8: 280 (3 days out) 3. Preparation time: After I was done with Step 1, I moved to the US as a postdoctoral research fellow. As such, I realized it is going to be challenging to navigate my research du ties, US rotations, Step 2 CS exam, and Step 2 CK preparation. Collectively, the actual preparation time for CK was 12 months with an average studying time ranging from 4 hours a day for the first 10 months to 8 hours a day for the last 2 months prior to my exam. 4. Materials used: UW Step 2 CK (x3) UW Step 3 (x2) Kaplan Q bank (x1) Internal Medicine Essentials Q bank De Virgilio (surgery textbook) Up to date and Medscape Google, YouTube, and Siri 😊 UW Step 2: Your baseline. Most people preparing for CK rega

USMLE step 1: 250

Got my score this week : 250 Here is my Step 1 experience, I’ve read so many in the past and they really helped me, so here’s mine, hope it helps you out! Resources: 1. UW qbank x 2 2. FIRST AID x 3 3. Kaplan 2014 live online lectures 4. Kaplan lecture notes 5. Pathoma 6. Goljan Audio lectures 7. Sketchy Micro and Pharmacology 8. B&B videos 9. Rx qbank 7 day free trial 10. Biostats- Randy Neil Videos and UW biostats 11. 100 cases of Ethics by Conrad Fischer and 30 cases of ethics by dirty USMLE 12. Anatomy shelf notes Nbme 16 240 (3 mo. before) Nbme 17 244 (2 mo. before) UWSA 1 252 (1.5 mo. before) UWSA 2 258 (1 mo. before) Nbme 19 238 (3 wks before) Nbme 15 262 (2 wks before Nbme 18 250 (1 wk before) Free 120 83% What I did in the last week 1. Reviewed FA last time focused on weak areas, skimmed though others and made a 1 page list of the stuff I couldn’t remember. 2. Read UW notes that I made. 3. Did nbme 18 4. Reviewed sketchy images 2 Days before: 1. Heart sounds

MRCS PART A – EXPERIENCE

DURATION OF STUDY – 3.5-4 months (with work )  Pattern of study  Paper 1 ( Basic sciences )  Anatomy – Emrcs with NASA khan notes ( best part about these notes are he copied all the colourful pics from Snell’s anatomy along with emrcs theory ) . Make small pics for imagination of anatomical relationship .... A big chunk of questions are from anatomy , this needs to be done in a crystal clearway .. Physiology – raftry with emrcs  Pathology – raftry few topics and emrcs Pharma and micro – emrcs  I read raftry for physio complete twice , patho and micro once only  Biostatistics – emrcs  For basic sciences reading emrcs with its theory is more than enough with few references from text books to make the concepts clear  Fawzia sheets for paper one is very very very important , somehow in every session of this examination RCS is putting almost 50-60% paper from these sheets ... Don’t leave them .... Read them at least three times .... Paper 2 ...  For paper 2 , Your surgical b