Skip to main content

Step 1: 250


Alhamdulillah!!
Got my result today 😊
I wasn’t very active in groups but I would always read everyone’s experiences as they motivated me and pushed me further. I hope my experience helps someone too. I would also go through the questions posted by the wonderful people in this group to clear concepts. I didn’t give myself any score target, I wanted to give my best in the preparation and just give the exam in the month I had planned
When I started my preparation, my concepts of the basic science subjects were very weak and Step 1 felt like an insurmountable, daunting task! But let me assure you that it’s doable. There are thousands of people who do it every year, you can do it too!
Preparation:
Total duration 9 months
Dedicated period 4 months
Study sources: UFAP (It’s GOLD!)
Started with Pathoma videos and book.
Watched Kaplan videos for Biochemistry, Immunology, Neuroanatomy.
While going through these sources I would read the corresponding parts from FA to familiarize myself with the book early on.
If I wouldn’t understand a concept, I would watch YouTube videos for it.
UWORLD:
1st Pass: Started subject wise. I made notes on FA side by side. I would read a chap thoroughly and then would do its questions in the next few days.
I did about 2/3 of my uworld’s first pass subject wise and then switched to timed- random. During this time I was able to do 1 block a day. I would read FA half of the day and then in the evening would do a block with explanations.
Scored about 78% in first pass. (Did it in maybe 4.5 months)
After the 1st pass, I read FA with all the UW explanations in 2 weeks and gave NBME 15 offline.
2nd pass: Incorrect/Marked questions in random timed mode. Some days I would do 1 and some days 2 blocks. I felt that I learnt better if I read FA everyday.
(Spent maybe 1-1.5 month on 2nd pass)
NBME 15: Dec 15th. 25 mistakes (offline)
UWSA 1: Jan 10th. 257 (29 mistakes)
UWSA 2: Jan 23rd. 243 (38 mistakes)
NBME 18: Jan 31st. 235
NBME 21: Feb 4rth. 238
In last month I did Ethic notes by Conrad. I tried to cram Anatomy shelf notes as much as possible.
In the last 10 days I went through all the units, concentrating more on my weaker areas. 5 days before exam I went through the videos of first 3 chaps of Pathoma.
4 days before I listened to Randy Neil’s biostat videos on YouTube again.
Exam day:
I slept for 6 hrs before the exam day. Had a light breakfast with tea. Took A LOT of snacks and coffee.
(Snacks: sandwiches, bananas, protein bars)
The Exam is certainly doable, when I came out of the prometric I was feeling satisfied- like you do when you attempt a tricky block on UW that you think you did good on. I was able to finish each block in 40-45 mins. And then would quickly review the marked questions. It was more UW oriented, some would dig deeper into your concepts and some questions were very straightforward.
From early on try to increase your reading and question attempting skills. Even if you’re doing the UW first time, try not to spend more than 1.5 min on one question. Mark it and move forward.
Wear loose layers so that you’re comfortable throughout. I wore extra pair of socks as well because my feet get uncomfortably cold. I took breaks after every block, would quickly use the restroom and have some snacks.
Definitely Keep some pain killers with you!! I took maybe 3 or 4 that day.
Best of luck to all of you! You can do it!

Comments

  1. Omg I'm so happy to share this!!! I've been thinking I've lost my mind and it was some mental case. I myself had my tubes tied after my 3rd child. I have a condition that makes having babies so hard on my body. About 6 months ago I too would feel something like "kicks" of course I thought I was out right crazy. I never spoke to anyone about what was going through. How could I? They'd think I was nuts!!! Well my periods have been getting so bad that I reached out to my best friend who also had the operation to see if she had experienced any symptoms with her periods since! Of course we were in the same boat. I broke down and told her I almost felt at times I was pregnant I felt so crazy just typing this out to her. I was beyond nervous she would think it was a nut case. To my surprise she also had similar symptoms. We both are researching what this could be. That's when I came across this website on Google of dr Itua Herbal Center. While scrolling through these comments I stumbled upon how he treated HIV/HHerpes also helped a woman to get pregnant with his herbal medicines. When I read what he had been going through I just broke down and cried for the longest time. Finally I got a help that I ever wanted I and my friend purchase Dr Itua herbal medicines and we both used it which was really effective it cure my cramp issues so I will recommend anyone going through some health issue to contact Dr Itua Herbal Center on E-Mail : drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats-App +2348149277967 He cure HIV/Aids, Herpes, Cancers, And other stubborn disease make sure someone here talk to someone about this who is going through the same thing as us. Ty for sharing. I now know we're not alone!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY Step 2 CK Experience 284 Medhat Farwati

Dear (future) Doctors, I am Medhat Farwati, a Syrian graduate from Aleppo University, Faculty of Medicine. Hereby I share with you my experience with Step 2 CK. 1. Score: 284 2. Self-assessments: UWSA 1: 273 (2 months out) UWSA 2: 276 ( 1 week out) NBME 7: 277 (1 week out) NBME 8: 280 (3 days out) 3. Preparation time: After I was done with Step 1, I moved to the US as a postdoctoral research fellow. As such, I realized it is going to be challenging to navigate my research du ties, US rotations, Step 2 CS exam, and Step 2 CK preparation. Collectively, the actual preparation time for CK was 12 months with an average studying time ranging from 4 hours a day for the first 10 months to 8 hours a day for the last 2 months prior to my exam. 4. Materials used: UW Step 2 CK (x3) UW Step 3 (x2) Kaplan Q bank (x1) Internal Medicine Essentials Q bank De Virgilio (surgery textbook) Up to date and Medscape Google, YouTube, and Siri 😊 UW Step 2: Your baseline. Most people preparing for CK rega

USMLE step 1: 250

Got my score this week : 250 Here is my Step 1 experience, I’ve read so many in the past and they really helped me, so here’s mine, hope it helps you out! Resources: 1. UW qbank x 2 2. FIRST AID x 3 3. Kaplan 2014 live online lectures 4. Kaplan lecture notes 5. Pathoma 6. Goljan Audio lectures 7. Sketchy Micro and Pharmacology 8. B&B videos 9. Rx qbank 7 day free trial 10. Biostats- Randy Neil Videos and UW biostats 11. 100 cases of Ethics by Conrad Fischer and 30 cases of ethics by dirty USMLE 12. Anatomy shelf notes Nbme 16 240 (3 mo. before) Nbme 17 244 (2 mo. before) UWSA 1 252 (1.5 mo. before) UWSA 2 258 (1 mo. before) Nbme 19 238 (3 wks before) Nbme 15 262 (2 wks before Nbme 18 250 (1 wk before) Free 120 83% What I did in the last week 1. Reviewed FA last time focused on weak areas, skimmed though others and made a 1 page list of the stuff I couldn’t remember. 2. Read UW notes that I made. 3. Did nbme 18 4. Reviewed sketchy images 2 Days before: 1. Heart sounds

Guidance of USMLE

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates : 1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days. 2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment. 3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents. 4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic informati