Skip to main content

Step 1-238



Hello guys, I want to share my experience as a gratitude for all the people that shared their step 1 journey before .For me all the stories posted in this group gave me strength to continue and became my guidelines in a process from I didn’t know anything about. 
Started with Kaplan lecture notes except for pathology. Then I watched all Kaplan 2014 videos except for pathology. Then I did Pathoma and gave my first FA read along with DIT videos, it made it easier to digest the book. Then I solved Usmle Rx and jumped straight to Uworld , first pass timed random mode score 62 % and after that I made it second time 85%. I felt confident with the knowledge I had but not with my test taking skills because I made online nbme 15 with a score of 213 and a lot of silly mistakes so I decided to do Kaplan qbank timed random mode( score 77%). I felt is very strong in anatomy and physiology concepts. After that I started to make more nbmes and I realize that my weakness was test taking skills and a little knowledge gaps specially in Behavioral sciences and biostats. I did all new nbmes in this order :
Nbme 13 online 6 months before: 190
Nbme 15 online 4 months :213 
This was the time where nbmes (13-19 were retired so I had to make the new ones , For me it was ok because I wanted to make the more online assessments as possible )
Nbme 20 online 6 weeks before test : 232
Nbme 21 online 4 weeks before : 234 
This was the time I scheduled the exam because although my goal was 240, seeing 230’s in nbmes ,for me was a reached goal by itself) 
UWSA 1 3.5 weeks before : 245 
Amboss self assessment : 260 
Nbme 23 online 3 weeks before: 229 
Nbme 24 and 22 online 2 weeks before : 230 in both 
After these nbme I traveled to the US to make the exam and I felt I was learning nothing new from FA and Uworld and made 80-100 questions per day timed random from amboss 
Nbme 18 online 1 week before : 236 (satisfied I break 235 in nbme 18 as I heard It was very predictive) 
Free 120 in center 5 days before : 82%
UWSA 2 , 4 days before : 237 ( did It after 2 amboss blocks to simulate the exam I was shocked because I expected 240 on it but I had to finish with it ! )
The day before the exam I didn’t see anything I went to the beach and relaxed, in the morning I went running so I had 7 hours sleep , I think my body had rest but my mind wanted to betray me. When I woke up I was nervous but after breakfast I was decided to kill the beast. 
The exam was doable , just as everybody says , there’s nothing more you can say... it is just like a mix of nbme and Uworld but more similar to Uworld and I can say Amboss make a great work in the length and 2 step questions as were written on the exam. But If I can do some thing different in my preparation will be: start you preparation with questions and finish your preparation with questions . I always say that is better 1 month with a qbank than 5 months with books, there’s nothing better that learning with qs , it is just active learning. And the other thing I regret is not continue seeing Uworld questions in my last month of preparation , I did amboss instead and even though amboss is great , nothing compares the work Uworld makes in explaining the questions and teaching the concepts , after all the step 1 is about concepts, every question is not a question, it is a concept they are asking about. I want internal medicine and taking the score apart , just doing step 1 is an achievement by itself , just by taking this exam with the level of demand it will take from you will make you a different physician in a positive way. I made my preparation while working in a military Hospital were we can see a lot of things that I had been studying while preparing ( so don’t get discouraged by the people saying isn’t possible if you are working ), and comparing the days when I decided to start this journey with today ,after step 1 is done , I can say that I’m a better Physician and just by that it definitely worth it.

Comments

  1. Hi admin!
    Your giving information is very useful. Thanks for sharing informational blog post. Keep it up. For more information click this hyperlink USMLE Step 1 Examination

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MY Step 2 CK Experience 284 Medhat Farwati

Dear (future) Doctors, I am Medhat Farwati, a Syrian graduate from Aleppo University, Faculty of Medicine. Hereby I share with you my experience with Step 2 CK. 1. Score: 284 2. Self-assessments: UWSA 1: 273 (2 months out) UWSA 2: 276 ( 1 week out) NBME 7: 277 (1 week out) NBME 8: 280 (3 days out) 3. Preparation time: After I was done with Step 1, I moved to the US as a postdoctoral research fellow. As such, I realized it is going to be challenging to navigate my research du ties, US rotations, Step 2 CS exam, and Step 2 CK preparation. Collectively, the actual preparation time for CK was 12 months with an average studying time ranging from 4 hours a day for the first 10 months to 8 hours a day for the last 2 months prior to my exam. 4. Materials used: UW Step 2 CK (x3) UW Step 3 (x2) Kaplan Q bank (x1) Internal Medicine Essentials Q bank De Virgilio (surgery textbook) Up to date and Medscape Google, YouTube, and Siri 😊 UW Step 2: Your baseline. Most people preparing for CK rega

USMLE step 1: 250

Got my score this week : 250 Here is my Step 1 experience, I’ve read so many in the past and they really helped me, so here’s mine, hope it helps you out! Resources: 1. UW qbank x 2 2. FIRST AID x 3 3. Kaplan 2014 live online lectures 4. Kaplan lecture notes 5. Pathoma 6. Goljan Audio lectures 7. Sketchy Micro and Pharmacology 8. B&B videos 9. Rx qbank 7 day free trial 10. Biostats- Randy Neil Videos and UW biostats 11. 100 cases of Ethics by Conrad Fischer and 30 cases of ethics by dirty USMLE 12. Anatomy shelf notes Nbme 16 240 (3 mo. before) Nbme 17 244 (2 mo. before) UWSA 1 252 (1.5 mo. before) UWSA 2 258 (1 mo. before) Nbme 19 238 (3 wks before) Nbme 15 262 (2 wks before Nbme 18 250 (1 wk before) Free 120 83% What I did in the last week 1. Reviewed FA last time focused on weak areas, skimmed though others and made a 1 page list of the stuff I couldn’t remember. 2. Read UW notes that I made. 3. Did nbme 18 4. Reviewed sketchy images 2 Days before: 1. Heart sounds

Guidance of USMLE

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates : 1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days. 2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment. 3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents. 4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic informati