Skip to main content

Step 1--- 243



Hello everyone, 
I gave my step 1 exam on Oct 24th, and just got my score - 243  
I wanted to write this experience to all those out there who are struggling with the exam, hopefully it will motivate and give proper guidance which I lacked.
My exam prep duration - 
15 months (July 2016 to Oct 2017) I took a break of 2 months in between and again a break of 4 months later on for my rotations. 
Total prep time being 9 months (last 2 months dedicated period with 8-10 hours of study; other months I studied for 6-8hrs a day.) 
-----------------------
Resources used - 
FA and UW; added selected kaplan videos (for biochem, immunology); Dr. Steven lectures for Behav; Pathoma videos; Kaplan behav book; Shelf notes for anatomy
------------------------
Preparation: 
I took a baseline Nbme 12 at the very beginning - got 130 (June ending 2016) 
I was doing my internship at that time - juggled between step 1 prep and the duties. Later I took off from the duty when I couldn't focus on the prep. 
Started with FA and UW - took me 6 months to complete 1st round of UW with one read of FA (July to Dec) 
I took an online nbme in Oct (halfway through UW) - Scored 186. In december, after completion of UW, I revised everything and took online Nbme 15 (score 225). Gave it a two weeks gap, revised the mistakes and took Nbme 16 in Jan 2017 (score 215).
That was when I realized only FA and UW is not enough for the exam. I made a note of all the subjects/ topics I was weak on and decided to do Kaplan videos/ pathoma lectures to supplement. 
Unfortunately, I had to take another long break of 4 months. So, I had to start again when I sat to prepare during July 2017. This time round I did Rx Q bank and gave FA a thorough read (2nd read) before taking an nbme. My nbme 17 was 215, 2 months before my exam. It completely shattered me. I lost all hope that I would atleast get a decent score in 220's as Nbme 17 is supposed to be easy as per reviews.
I found a study partner to help me keep motivated and study the weak subjects - pharma, anat, micro. During then, I began with UW again, online. Did it random and timed mode - 2 blocks a day. Added Pathoma book and kaplan videos to my schedule. Took down notes and simultaneously did 3rd read of FA. I also did one read of Shelf notes for anatomy. I took Nbme 19 halfway through UW (score 225). It was better than my nbme 17 and it made me push harder. 
I took the Fred online - scored 83% ~ 230 and applied for exam then - one month away.
In the last one month I completed UW 2nd round with FA. 2 weeks away from my exam, I stimulated the real exam with Nbme 18 and USWA 2 on the same day. Nbme 18 (230) and USWA 2 (245). 
The last week I revised the highly tested concepts and went for exam. 
---------------------
Exam day: 
I took lots of food with me to keep me energized (make sure you do that; it can get tiring); the exam is a mix of USWA and UW. I thought the nbmes are way different from how the real exam is tested. The question stems are very long and you need to practice time management so it doesn't overwhelm you. 
For every block, I used to mark 10-12 questions (hard questions which included the wtf ones) and solved them at the end. I had 2-5 min left for few blocks and short of time for few others. So be alert through the entire block. You never know how it is going to be. 
-----------------------
Suggestions (from mistakes that I learnt) - 
1. Do kaplan lectures at the beginning - but space it for 1-2 months and not more than that. It will give you a basic idea on how to proceed with the prep.
Compulsory kaplan videos are for subjects: 
Biochem and molecular
Immunology 
Physiology 
Pharmacology - I preferred lectures by Dr. Raymon. 
Behav sciences - Dr. Steven is the best. Do his videos.
Najeeb lectures are not necessary.
2.Exam is heavily image oriented. So make sure you prepare with images on daily basis. 
3.. Try to avoid taking long breaks. 
4. A study partner can help extremely in your prep. Find the right person to fit your study schedule and help you along. 
------------------------
MI FAQ: 
1. What is the best way to do UW for the first time? 
Do it offline or online - really doesn't matter. Take down notes/ make electronic notes (based on your preference) 
But definitely use online to stimulate for your second and 3rd UW read (if at all). 
By the end of your prep, your UW average should be >85% for a decent score (the starting scores don't matter)
2. Goljan vs Pathoma? 
Pathoma is the simplest and easiest way to up your score by 10 points. So do it. Do both the videos as well as the book. 
From goljan, I would suggest you to do ALL the images and the short notes at the side. That is more than enough ( I didn't do this; but those points have some extremely HY stuff; if you have time go through it, if not only the images is enough)
3. Other Qbanks: Kaplan, Rx 
I did Kaplan too for few topics but I wouldn't recommend it, not HY. The only topics where Kaplan Qbank is helpful is for: Genetics, biochem, anat
Rx Qbank - if you have trouble memorizing stuff, this will surely help. So base it on your level of capability. 
-----------------------
My assessments all along:
Nbme 12 (June 2016) - 130
Nbme 13 (Oct 2016) - 186 
Nbme 15 (Dec 2016) - 225 
Nbme 16 ( Jan 2017) - 215 
------ break 
Nbme 17 (Aug 21, 2017) - 215 
Nbme 19 ( Sept 10, 2017) - 225 
Fred (Sept 25, 2017) - 83% ~230 
Nbme 18 (Oct 12, 2017) - 230 
USWA 2 (same day) - 245
Read deal: 243
Final advice: Trust your instincts more than your assessments. Don't let them demotivate you. Use them as a guide to push you further.
If there is anything I can help with or answer any questions, I will gladly reply.
Finally, but not the least, I have to thank my wonderful friends for all the help throughout my journey. Especially, my wonderful study partner Sarah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY Step 2 CK Experience 284 Medhat Farwati

Dear (future) Doctors, I am Medhat Farwati, a Syrian graduate from Aleppo University, Faculty of Medicine. Hereby I share with you my experience with Step 2 CK. 1. Score: 284 2. Self-assessments: UWSA 1: 273 (2 months out) UWSA 2: 276 ( 1 week out) NBME 7: 277 (1 week out) NBME 8: 280 (3 days out) 3. Preparation time: After I was done with Step 1, I moved to the US as a postdoctoral research fellow. As such, I realized it is going to be challenging to navigate my research du ties, US rotations, Step 2 CS exam, and Step 2 CK preparation. Collectively, the actual preparation time for CK was 12 months with an average studying time ranging from 4 hours a day for the first 10 months to 8 hours a day for the last 2 months prior to my exam. 4. Materials used: UW Step 2 CK (x3) UW Step 3 (x2) Kaplan Q bank (x1) Internal Medicine Essentials Q bank De Virgilio (surgery textbook) Up to date and Medscape Google, YouTube, and Siri 😊 UW Step 2: Your baseline. Most people preparing for CK rega

USMLE step 1: 250

Got my score this week : 250 Here is my Step 1 experience, I’ve read so many in the past and they really helped me, so here’s mine, hope it helps you out! Resources: 1. UW qbank x 2 2. FIRST AID x 3 3. Kaplan 2014 live online lectures 4. Kaplan lecture notes 5. Pathoma 6. Goljan Audio lectures 7. Sketchy Micro and Pharmacology 8. B&B videos 9. Rx qbank 7 day free trial 10. Biostats- Randy Neil Videos and UW biostats 11. 100 cases of Ethics by Conrad Fischer and 30 cases of ethics by dirty USMLE 12. Anatomy shelf notes Nbme 16 240 (3 mo. before) Nbme 17 244 (2 mo. before) UWSA 1 252 (1.5 mo. before) UWSA 2 258 (1 mo. before) Nbme 19 238 (3 wks before) Nbme 15 262 (2 wks before Nbme 18 250 (1 wk before) Free 120 83% What I did in the last week 1. Reviewed FA last time focused on weak areas, skimmed though others and made a 1 page list of the stuff I couldn’t remember. 2. Read UW notes that I made. 3. Did nbme 18 4. Reviewed sketchy images 2 Days before: 1. Heart sounds

Guidance of USMLE

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates : 1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days. 2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment. 3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents. 4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic informati