Skip to main content

Step 1- 249

QUICK PREP TIMELINE
Total study time: 10 months
Dedicated time: 6 months
NBMEs
13= 217 (after 1st round of UW)
16= 230 (after 2nd read of FA)
15= 225 (right one week after NBME 16 *major setback*)
UWSA1 = 251 (after 2nd round of UW and 3rd read of FA)
NBME 18= 240 (roughly 2 weeks before actual exam)
UWSA2= 241 (just 2 days before my scheduled exam day, which was March 20 at that time)
Final showdown: 249 (Alhamdulillah!)
Since my NBME 18 and UWSA2 both were borderline 240s, I was very nervous and skeptic about the exam as my target was 240+. I therefore took a step back and rescheduled my exam from March 20 to March 27 right after I took UWSA2.
This one week was a good decision, as you can tell.
MY 2¢ ON THIS JOURNEY:
1. Be honest with yourself and set realistic goals. Pushing yourself is one thing, and burning out is another.
2. UFAP, UFAP, UFAP. Period.
3. A supportive family is a true blessing! Plus, the right study partner is always a godsend. I have to thank mine, along with so many amazing friends I have today. On top of that, if you have someone you can always go back to whenever you want to vent out, stress out and chill out at the end of the day, then count yourself lucky!
4. If you haven’t been sleeping well during your exam week, it’s TOTALLY okay to delay the exam for a week. Listen to your gut. Also, you’ll NEVER feel fully prepared. It’s always a leap of faith that takes good decision-making and immense self-belief after all the hard work (aren't all those qualities for a good doctor, anyway?).
5. It’s completely normal to have post-exam anxiety. I came out of prometric with mixed feelings. As days passed, it got worse. I had nightmares and couldn’t get myself to imagine checking out my score report after 3 weeks.
All’s well that ends well.
Lastly, whatever score you get, it’s important to remember that it’s only an exam. There are more exams right ahead, and many more opportunities to overcome any rough patch.
Just keep going.
I’m going to start CK now. I plan to take it in 2 months.
Anybody interested to be my accountability/study partner? 
Good luck and good vibes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ripon Ahammed USMLE Step 2 CK score: 263

My Step 2 CK Experiences Hello everyone, I am a Bangladeshi medical graduate of Sir Salimullah Medical College (2015). USMLE Step 2 CK score: 263 Exam Date: 27 November 2019 Report Date: 18 December 2019 Duration of preparation: 4 months Resources: UWORLD Biostat portion of First Aid UW First round- Random (Offline, Used timer) Average: 82% Second round- Random, Online ( Couldn't complete due to a deadline, about 700 qs were left) Average: 91% Target was: 270s UWSA1: 273 (2 weeks before exam) UWSA2: 274 (3 days before exam) No NBME, CMS , Free 120 or anything Real deal: 263 No NBME, CMS , Free 120 or anything USMLE Step 1 score : 255 (26.02.2018) *You can ignore this [ ] portion. [I Started MD cardiology residency in my country after step 1 and got stuck there. One and half year passed by, i couldn't even decide whether go for the next steps or not. I started my preparation for CK in August, 2019 with UWORLD. ...

Omnia Mohamed Saeed--- Match 2019

Congratulations to everyone who matched  :) ) and those who didn't hopefully you'll match next cycle! I matched in Internal Medicine, my #1 choice  :) ) First match cycle.. To all the old grads out there, it's never too late  😀 YOG 2010 (2009 without internship) I took the steps throughout many years cuz I was working and travelling a lot..wasnt ready yet to apply for the match till now. Step 2 CK: 260 done in 2011 Step 1: 245 done in 2013 Step 2 CS: Pass in 2014 Step 3: 259 done in 2018 No USCE No research No US-LORs No contacts Non US-IMG, need a visa Continuously practicing medicine since graduation, did 2 years residency in home country n quit (internal med) then started and finished another residency abroad (family med) 4 LORs from non-US doctors - one waived (3 were from FM doctors and one IM doctor!) Applied to only around 90 programs IM (biggest mistake, it was my first match cycle and I did not research well, I only looked through FREIDA which was mis...

- Step1 Experience ----267

Hello, My name is Saif Sharayah, I am from Jordan and I graduated from Hashemite University in May 2018. Test date: 22nd of April, 2019 Preparation time: 8-9 months Step1 Score: 267 First of all, you should bear in mind that everybody is different and has a certain goal. With that being said, I am hoping that what I am going to say would benefit as much people as possible. I would like to start by saying that the exam is certainly doable, so let’s get that out of the way. Resources that were worth doing (In addition to firstaid, pathoma and Uworld) based on “MY” experience: -Dr. Turcos Kaplan videos (Biochemistry) -Sketchy Micro (Aids recall, not essential though) -Bnb biostats’ videos followed by Uworld subject review (Can’t recommend this method enough, its golden for biostat) -100 Cases by Conrad Fischer (Ethics) -Anatomy shelf notes + Kaplan Neuroanatomy videos by Dr. White (Anatomy) -BRS physiology (Not essential if you are comfortable with the subject) The above cover...