Skip to main content

TL;DR: Well where do I start?



Low 220s in both the steps. No attempts. No step 3 yet. Flunked in a subject during med school. Been to a mediocre med school. Graduated in 2014. require visa. Did electives at a private clinic which were useless. Very subpar lors when I applied to residency last year. Applied to 200 programs yet not a single IV. Clueless as to what to do. With step 3 still to take care off. Sent out almost 1000 emails to literally everyone I can find around the web who are in the field of medicine for a research opportunity to improve my resume.
Finally, after 999 emails one person responds. Fast forward, was involved in research. Had 20 publications, 7 abstracts, and good personalized lors before September of this year. Applied to 150 programs. No IV except for the place where I was doing research.
Matched with mediocre scores, red flags into a good neurology program.
Conclusion: scores/YOG/Med school doesn't matter. Persistence/hard work/a smiling face matters.
You just got to be at the right place at the right time with the right people.
I hope this post gives some hope to people out there who are second-guessing themselves. If I can do this, you all can do this. Good luck all.
please ask any questions you have in the comments so everyone can benefit. if you have any personal qs feel free to inbox.
p.s. please dont ask me where I did my research. I am not supposed to disclose it. I am sorry I cannot help you find a position. Hope you understand.
p.p.s. if any of you know me personally, please donot disclose my name. thank you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step 2 CK Experience (280)--vvimp

• Background: Hello everyone. This is Hasan Alarouri, a Jordanian graduate of Jordan University of Science and Technology (2017). I started my dedicated preparation for Step 2 CK during my internship, and the total duration was around 15 months. Owing to how helpful this group had been during my preparation, and the rarity of experiences similar to mine (Step 2 CK prior to Step 1), I thought I’ll have to share my experience with you. • USMLE Scores: Step 1: not done yet Step 2 CK: 280 Step 2 CS: Passed • Self assessment scores: Free120: 96% (5 mistakes); 5 months prior to exam NBME 4: 6 mistakes (offline); 4 months prior to exam NBME 7: 13 mistakes (offline); 3 months prior to exam NBME 6: 5 mistakes (offline); 2.5 months prior to exam NBME 8: 279 (online; 8 mistakes); 2 months prior to exam UWSA1: 286 (10 mistakes); 1 month prior to exam UWSA2: 274 (15 mistakes); 2 weeks prior to exam • Preparation duration and hours studied each day: The total duration was 15. This was supposed ...

MRCS PART A – EXPERIENCE

DURATION OF STUDY – 3.5-4 months (with work )  Pattern of study  Paper 1 ( Basic sciences )  Anatomy – Emrcs with NASA khan notes ( best part about these notes are he copied all the colourful pics from Snell’s anatomy along with emrcs theory ) . Make small pics for imagination of anatomical relationship .... A big chunk of questions are from anatomy , this needs to be done in a crystal clearway .. Physiology – raftry with emrcs  Pathology – raftry few topics and emrcs Pharma and micro – emrcs  I read raftry for physio complete twice , patho and micro once only  Biostatistics – emrcs  For basic sciences reading emrcs with its theory is more than enough with few references from text books to make the concepts clear  Fawzia sheets for paper one is very very very important , somehow in every session of this examination RCS is putting almost 50-60% paper from these sheets ... Don’t leave them .... Read them at least three times .... Pape...

‎Rohit Kulkarni‎ ------ MATCH 2019

Step 1 252, Step 2CK 252, CS pass.  All on first attempt. Step 3 not given.  2016 YOG. No research or publications. No home residency.  Non US-IMG from India. Visa needed. I applied for 200 IM(categorical)+ 58 GS( both Categorical/ prelim)programs. I had made up my mind to rank programs as follows, prior to receiving interviews: Any GS categorical Hospital > High tier GS prelim> IM high/mid/low tier categorical> GS mid/low tier hospital. Interviews 7 IM(6 through main match+ 1 prematch)/ 1 categorical GS /4 prelim GS / 1 categorical GS on waitlist which I didn’t interview at. -Easton Hospital categorical GS -Mayo Clinic Rochester prelim GS -Cleveland clinic prelim GS -Oklahoma university IM -Cleveland clinic Fairview IM -St. Barnabas MC IM -ETSU IM -McLaren Flint IM -Redmond Regional MC(through contacts)IM -UIC metropolitan GS prelim -Maimonides MC GS prelim -Creighton Omaha GS( waitlist which I didn’t interview at) Matched at St. Barnabas Medical Center, Liv...