Skip to main content

Patel Smit- MATCH 2019


First of all I would like to thank you for your best wishes. Here, I am writing about my USMLE journey.
My credentials-
Medical school : IMG from India. 
Step 1: 209/ 1st attempt
Step 2Ck: 227/ 1st attempt
Step 2Cs: pass/ 1st attempt
Step 3: 222/ 1st attempt
Graduation: Feb, 2015
Visa status: Green card
Clinical experience : 1.5 year clinical experience in home country, almost 1 year observership experience in USA
Research experience : significant amount of publication.
Specialty : Internal medicine
Match 2017- First application cycle (without step 3)I have applied almost 250 IM programs. I got 6 and 1 prematch interviews. Unfortunately, I didn't match.
Match 2018- Second application cycle (without step 3) I have applied almost 220 IM programs with more clinical and research experience. I got 7 interviews. Unfortunately, I didn't match.
Match 2019- Third application cycle with step 3, more research and clinical experience I have applied almost 190 IM programs. I could able to secure 11 Interviews including 1 prematch. Fortunately, I have matched this time.
My suggestion for future applicants:
first, decide which specialty you want to persue for your long term career goal and then keep working until you achieve it. I would suggest don't mix up your CV with experience of IM, Pedia, neuro, and psychiatry. Even if you go unmatched keep working for the Same specialty and build up your CV. Program Directors really like dedicated and persistent candidates.
Second, who are still remaining with step 3 finish it as soon as possible. I should have finished my step 3 during second application cycle. It was my mistake that I didn't finish. I learned from my second application unmatched result. This time I finished step 3 with score 222.
Third, don't leave blank space in any section of your CV. So work on your CV and fill up all the corners (volunteer experience, clinical experience, research experience, publication) of your ERAS CV. Even if you are not good at research try to publish at least 1 paper or abstract.
I genuinely believe step scores are just numbers. It can't define your potential and abilities. Every candidates have some unique qualities. Everyone who have finished USMLE steps and reach to this far deserves the best.
Conclusion: Believe that everything happens for a good reason. Never stop running towards your goal. If you want to achieve something you gotta be hungry. Keep patience, perseverance, positivity, and faith in your self.
Good luck everyone!!

Comments

  1. clinical observership - Just Searching about such an informative blog, I really liked your blog and adding upon I would like to recommend Medical observership in India. You can find and join numerous medical education fellowship programs online and learn from the best! It's easy to stay current with their online medical certificate programs. They even provide a medical certificate online after completion of the course.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Step 2 CK Experience (280)--vvimp

• Background: Hello everyone. This is Hasan Alarouri, a Jordanian graduate of Jordan University of Science and Technology (2017). I started my dedicated preparation for Step 2 CK during my internship, and the total duration was around 15 months. Owing to how helpful this group had been during my preparation, and the rarity of experiences similar to mine (Step 2 CK prior to Step 1), I thought I’ll have to share my experience with you. • USMLE Scores: Step 1: not done yet Step 2 CK: 280 Step 2 CS: Passed • Self assessment scores: Free120: 96% (5 mistakes); 5 months prior to exam NBME 4: 6 mistakes (offline); 4 months prior to exam NBME 7: 13 mistakes (offline); 3 months prior to exam NBME 6: 5 mistakes (offline); 2.5 months prior to exam NBME 8: 279 (online; 8 mistakes); 2 months prior to exam UWSA1: 286 (10 mistakes); 1 month prior to exam UWSA2: 274 (15 mistakes); 2 weeks prior to exam • Preparation duration and hours studied each day: The total duration was 15. This was supposed ...

MRCS PART A – EXPERIENCE

DURATION OF STUDY – 3.5-4 months (with work )  Pattern of study  Paper 1 ( Basic sciences )  Anatomy – Emrcs with NASA khan notes ( best part about these notes are he copied all the colourful pics from Snell’s anatomy along with emrcs theory ) . Make small pics for imagination of anatomical relationship .... A big chunk of questions are from anatomy , this needs to be done in a crystal clearway .. Physiology – raftry with emrcs  Pathology – raftry few topics and emrcs Pharma and micro – emrcs  I read raftry for physio complete twice , patho and micro once only  Biostatistics – emrcs  For basic sciences reading emrcs with its theory is more than enough with few references from text books to make the concepts clear  Fawzia sheets for paper one is very very very important , somehow in every session of this examination RCS is putting almost 50-60% paper from these sheets ... Don’t leave them .... Read them at least three times .... Pape...

‎Rohit Kulkarni‎ ------ MATCH 2019

Step 1 252, Step 2CK 252, CS pass.  All on first attempt. Step 3 not given.  2016 YOG. No research or publications. No home residency.  Non US-IMG from India. Visa needed. I applied for 200 IM(categorical)+ 58 GS( both Categorical/ prelim)programs. I had made up my mind to rank programs as follows, prior to receiving interviews: Any GS categorical Hospital > High tier GS prelim> IM high/mid/low tier categorical> GS mid/low tier hospital. Interviews 7 IM(6 through main match+ 1 prematch)/ 1 categorical GS /4 prelim GS / 1 categorical GS on waitlist which I didn’t interview at. -Easton Hospital categorical GS -Mayo Clinic Rochester prelim GS -Cleveland clinic prelim GS -Oklahoma university IM -Cleveland clinic Fairview IM -St. Barnabas MC IM -ETSU IM -McLaren Flint IM -Redmond Regional MC(through contacts)IM -UIC metropolitan GS prelim -Maimonides MC GS prelim -Creighton Omaha GS( waitlist which I didn’t interview at) Matched at St. Barnabas Medical Center, Liv...