Skip to main content

USMLE Step1 Score: 250

Finally Got my result πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠSo I thought to share my experience. May be it can help somebody.
First of all, what worked for me may not work for you. Like any advice you read on the internet, absorb what you feel is good information and ignore the rest. Nobody is infallible. There are multiple routes to success. I would go as far to say that UWorld is the only resource you absolutely cannot do without.
USMLE Step1 Score: 250
Begining: I started my preperation with Kaplan Lecture notes + videos. I did Kaplan for Physiology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Anatomy and BS .
For Pathology I used Pathoma and FA.
For Microbiology only FA and UW.
As soon as I finished Kaplan once, I had a quick read of First Aid and started Uworld Online.
Iam a very very very slow reader it took me 5 months to complete Uworld Once for all. So remember this thing that every person has it's own speed of getting things so don't panic even if u do less UW questions in a day, how much you get from those questions that matters not the number of questions per day.
After Completing Uworld, I read FA thoroughly and during that kept doing old NBMEs Like 6, 7, 11, 12 and 13 at regular intervals. Didn't do other old NBMEs.
The average number of correct questions in these NBMEs were between (175-184).
Then did UWSA1 about 5 months before exam and literally it was wasted by me because I freaked out as it was the first online assessment 
Although it wasn't that much difficult at all but i kept checking the result of each block while doing it and that made me to Panic alottttt. So I would advice everyone to " DO NOT CHECK RESULt OF YOUR UWSA BLOCKS UNTIL YOU COMPLETE IT ALL" . That was the biggest mistake by me 
Rest of the Major assessments were:
NBME 15 (Online): 248
NBME 16 (Online): 238 but this didn't stop me πŸ˜‚ and I kept giving NBMEs on my scheduled dates
NBME 17 (Online): 248
NBME 18 ( Online): 248
NBME 19 (Offline) : 183 correct
UWSA2: 256
Free120: 92%
The worst time of the my USMLE step1 journey was the last month of my exam because my scheduled date of exam was cancelled by the Prometric centre twice due to some technical issues at their site and my exam kept on delaying  when I was damn ready to give it and that one month delay was a big set back for me because i had to travel to another state that wasted my time, consistencyand money. So I would suggest you to never ever pick the last date of your eligibility period.
Exam Day: I had a good sleep of 9 hours night before the exam. Environment of Prometric centre was really good and I was so much relaxed and didn't panic even for a single minute during exam, infact I was shocked that it was the most relaxing and anxiety free situation even more relaxing than the NBMEs πŸ˜‚. I did some really 7 to 8 silly mistakes that I came to know as soon as I left the Prometric Centre πŸ˜“ really silly mistakes but I knew this happens with everyone, But it was really amazing experience.
Key advices:
1. Picking different resources is just gonna take more time, do few good resources and master those.
2. Don't drag NBMEs to the end of the exam, keep giving them n learn them no matter if your scores are low.
3. Sketchy, Anki, Rx, n other many resources for me is just a waste of time, I won't suggest to do any of these extra curricular activities πŸ˜‚ First Aid + Uworld is all u need.
4. Stay away from people who discourage your score or prepation because to move on even with low score you need positive motivations and self believe.
5. Study conceptual but don't go in the depth of everything, EXAM IS VERY SUPERFICIAL AND ONLY TESTS THE HIGH YIELD TOPICS
6. Scores Of NBMEs are not predictive, although my NBMEs score are very close to my actual score but I have seen many people with low scores in NBMEs getting high scores in exam and vice versa. So believe in your self, you are the best assessor of your self.
AND IN THE LAST THE MOST IMPORTANT THING that I would like to tell you that don’t define your success by an arbitrary number. You don’t need a 250. You don’t need to go into a competitive specialty. Leave your ego at the door and gravitate toward what you enjoy. One person may be disappointed with a 240, while it may be your dream score. And there is nothing wrong with that. Forget about everyone else; you’re competing against yourself. Everyone should strive to do as best as they possible can on this exam, but remember, please remember that the three digit score can vary a decent amount depending on how you perform on actual test day and which 280 questions they generate for you. The test day matters alot, no matters what your assessments are if you perform at that day and without anxiety you can get very much high scores from your assessments. Learn to love yourself. This test is a game and it should never determine your happiness. Work as hard as you can. Beat the test. And move on.
Remember me in your prayers 
I wish my experience can help somebody πŸ™
Best of luck to all who are in this journey ✌️✌️

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY Step 2 CK Experience 284 Medhat Farwati

Dear (future) Doctors, I am Medhat Farwati, a Syrian graduate from Aleppo University, Faculty of Medicine. Hereby I share with you my experience with Step 2 CK. 1. Score: 284 2. Self-assessments: UWSA 1: 273 (2 months out) UWSA 2: 276 ( 1 week out) NBME 7: 277 (1 week out) NBME 8: 280 (3 days out) 3. Preparation time: After I was done with Step 1, I moved to the US as a postdoctoral research fellow. As such, I realized it is going to be challenging to navigate my research du ties, US rotations, Step 2 CS exam, and Step 2 CK preparation. Collectively, the actual preparation time for CK was 12 months with an average studying time ranging from 4 hours a day for the first 10 months to 8 hours a day for the last 2 months prior to my exam. 4. Materials used: UW Step 2 CK (x3) UW Step 3 (x2) Kaplan Q bank (x1) Internal Medicine Essentials Q bank De Virgilio (surgery textbook) Up to date and Medscape Google, YouTube, and Siri 😊 UW Step 2: Your baseline. Most people preparing for CK rega

USMLE step 1: 250

Got my score this week : 250 Here is my Step 1 experience, I’ve read so many in the past and they really helped me, so here’s mine, hope it helps you out! Resources: 1. UW qbank x 2 2. FIRST AID x 3 3. Kaplan 2014 live online lectures 4. Kaplan lecture notes 5. Pathoma 6. Goljan Audio lectures 7. Sketchy Micro and Pharmacology 8. B&B videos 9. Rx qbank 7 day free trial 10. Biostats- Randy Neil Videos and UW biostats 11. 100 cases of Ethics by Conrad Fischer and 30 cases of ethics by dirty USMLE 12. Anatomy shelf notes Nbme 16 240 (3 mo. before) Nbme 17 244 (2 mo. before) UWSA 1 252 (1.5 mo. before) UWSA 2 258 (1 mo. before) Nbme 19 238 (3 wks before) Nbme 15 262 (2 wks before Nbme 18 250 (1 wk before) Free 120 83% What I did in the last week 1. Reviewed FA last time focused on weak areas, skimmed though others and made a 1 page list of the stuff I couldn’t remember. 2. Read UW notes that I made. 3. Did nbme 18 4. Reviewed sketchy images 2 Days before: 1. Heart sounds

Guidance of USMLE

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates : 1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days. 2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment. 3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents. 4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic informati