Skip to main content

Step 1 242

Hey Mamas out there, another Step 1 experience. My score: 242. Exactly the goal I set up 18 months ago… I graduated in 2005 in France, practiced until 2014 when I met my American husband and moved to the USA. I was burned out and stopped working with pleasure. I got a first baby in 2016 and when he was a year old, I finally decided to go the USMLE way to be able to practice again one day. So I began to study in August 2017 while being pregnant with my 2nd baby (due January 18). Studied 4 hours a day while my child was in daycare, 5 days a week. First I read Kaplan books and did Uworld offline (I know, it’s bad). Planned to finish a first round before the birth, but the pregnancy was emotionally complicated so I stopped studying in December. NBME 1 offline on 12/29/17 66% I delivered my beautiful daughter in January and she let me work during her nap (I resumed studying in March). Finished my first round in May. I also began to read from First Aid. NBME 13 online on 5/19/18 440 (215) Then it’s Summer break. 2 children at home, and the news that we must move out of our house. So again I completely stop studying, taking care of my family and a move in the Texan heat… Mid August, back to school (both kids in day care 5 hours/day 5 days a week) and to study. I do Uworld online, 1 block a day and review the wrong questions, the marked ones when I have time. I use Sketchy micro and a bit of pharmaco. And read First Aid a bit every evening. 2nd round ends. USWA 1 on 11/27 560 (241). Exam is already planned on 12/15, so despite feeling ready, I have to wait (you know, waiting for husband to be ok with his job, children to be taken care of…) 3rd round : I thought a would redo the wrong UW questions, but instead I concentrated on studying the weaknesses of USWA 1. I also used Google a lot to look for mnemonics. I had a notebook with a lot of mnemonics and all the diseases that are named after people, which I read many times (super useful). USWA 2 on 12/3 590 (247) Again I focus on weaknesses, reading and learning about the wrong questions. NBME 18 on 12/12 570 (242) One day of reciting mnemonics and formulas (stats and pharmaco). A last day of doing nothing … On D-day, I was OK. I slept OK (my children wake me up at least once a night, the previous 2 weeks were even harder with sickness). I spoke to me a lot to stay calm. First 2 blocks were : “ha! that’s how it is… I can do this”. Short pause to pee (yes I drank a lot, yes i was pregnant 2 times, no I didn’t think about that during my training). Next 2 blocks were : ok, you can do it, but when is lunch time? Then a 30min pause for lunch. I ate while walking in the center, needing to move 
Next 2 blocks were super hard. I think they were a bit harder than the other, but it was also the first time that I did more than 4 hours of questions. I really had to talk to myself to stay focused. I took quite a long pause before the last block. Last block was a bit easier (easier by itself, but also thanks to the pause). I finished nearly an hour earlier. Things I would do differently: I would do a bit more NBME. Just because they look more like the real exam than Uworld does. I would learn better anatomy from anatomy books, not just high yield stuff. If I could, I would have done the exam a week earlier (when I was done with my 3rd round). For the breastfeeding mamas: I am still breastfeeding my daughter. She was 11 month old when I took the exam. I thought about asking USMLE for extra-time to pump, but they put you on hold to examine your demand and this takes time. So at the end I just made it with normal time. I pumped a lot the weeks before to have milk ready for her (in fact way too much), and was ready to hand express in the bathroom if I was too uncomfortable (which I didn’t need to).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY Step 2 CK Experience 284 Medhat Farwati

Dear (future) Doctors, I am Medhat Farwati, a Syrian graduate from Aleppo University, Faculty of Medicine. Hereby I share with you my experience with Step 2 CK. 1. Score: 284 2. Self-assessments: UWSA 1: 273 (2 months out) UWSA 2: 276 ( 1 week out) NBME 7: 277 (1 week out) NBME 8: 280 (3 days out) 3. Preparation time: After I was done with Step 1, I moved to the US as a postdoctoral research fellow. As such, I realized it is going to be challenging to navigate my research du ties, US rotations, Step 2 CS exam, and Step 2 CK preparation. Collectively, the actual preparation time for CK was 12 months with an average studying time ranging from 4 hours a day for the first 10 months to 8 hours a day for the last 2 months prior to my exam. 4. Materials used: UW Step 2 CK (x3) UW Step 3 (x2) Kaplan Q bank (x1) Internal Medicine Essentials Q bank De Virgilio (surgery textbook) Up to date and Medscape Google, YouTube, and Siri 😊 UW Step 2: Your baseline. Most people preparing for CK rega

USMLE step 1: 250

Got my score this week : 250 Here is my Step 1 experience, I’ve read so many in the past and they really helped me, so here’s mine, hope it helps you out! Resources: 1. UW qbank x 2 2. FIRST AID x 3 3. Kaplan 2014 live online lectures 4. Kaplan lecture notes 5. Pathoma 6. Goljan Audio lectures 7. Sketchy Micro and Pharmacology 8. B&B videos 9. Rx qbank 7 day free trial 10. Biostats- Randy Neil Videos and UW biostats 11. 100 cases of Ethics by Conrad Fischer and 30 cases of ethics by dirty USMLE 12. Anatomy shelf notes Nbme 16 240 (3 mo. before) Nbme 17 244 (2 mo. before) UWSA 1 252 (1.5 mo. before) UWSA 2 258 (1 mo. before) Nbme 19 238 (3 wks before) Nbme 15 262 (2 wks before Nbme 18 250 (1 wk before) Free 120 83% What I did in the last week 1. Reviewed FA last time focused on weak areas, skimmed though others and made a 1 page list of the stuff I couldn’t remember. 2. Read UW notes that I made. 3. Did nbme 18 4. Reviewed sketchy images 2 Days before: 1. Heart sounds

Guidance of USMLE

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates : 1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days. 2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment. 3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents. 4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic informati