Skip to main content

My USMLE step 1 experience score : 255

My USMLE step 1 experience
score : 255
--------------------------------------
Thanks to Allah I have done USMLE step 1 exam in 12/12/2018 and received my score report in 9/1/2019
-My name is Mohammad Alaa Elbahnasawy and I am 5th year medical student,Alexandria university ,Egypt
- I will tell my story -as it is- with its positives and negatives and then I will tell the best way I would manage my journey,if I would take it again after my experience
-------------------------------------
- total study period is about 14-15 months (interrupted with 5 dedicated)
- sources:(FA.17-UW-pathoma-Rx qbank-100 cases of ethics-UW biostatistics review-anatomy shelf notes-b&b videos for biochemistry, biostatistics ,ethics and dermatology)
--------------------------------------
Assessments: all are offline except NBME 19&18 ,UWSA1&2 are online
-NBME 1 : 57 mistakes (6 months before exam)
-NBME 2 : 28 mistakes (4 months before exam)
-NBME 12 : 29 mistakes (about 3-4 months before exam)
I wanted to take newer NBME to get more familiar with exam
-NBME 16 : 24 mistakes (about 2-3 months before exam)
-NBME 18 : 26 mistakes >>>242 (2-3 months before exam)
I booked my exam after this
-NBME 3 : 23 mistakes (2 months before exam)
-NBME 4 : 15 mistakes (2 months before exam)
-NBME 5 : 21 mistakes (2 months before exam)
-NBME 6 : 9 mistakes (2 months before exam)
-NBME 7 : 15 mistakes (2 months before exam)
YES I took forms 3-7 in a row within a month as I used them as a learning tool not assessment and I did not have time to take them later
-UWSA1 : 24 mistakes >>>264 (2 months before exam)
-NBME 11 :15 mistakes (about 1 months before exam)
-NBME 13 : 19 mistakes (1 months before exam)
-NBME 15: 16 mistakes (1 months before exam)
-UWSA2 : 23 mistakes >>>258 (a week before exam)
-NBME 19 : 10 mistakes >>>257 (less than a week before exam)
-NBME 17 : 13 mistakes (less than a week before exam)
-FREE120 : 89% (less than a week before exam)
--------------------------------------
-I did not have a schedule to follow ,I said to myself just study and book your exam when you find yourself ready
-my target is +250
-I started preparation in September 2017 with FA ,UW and pathoma
-I read each chapter in FA and watch pathoma then solve its questions in UW
(my aim in this phase is just to get familiar with FA and UW , but surprisingly I found myself understanding and memorizing many concepts so I decided to continue this way)
-previous phase was the longest one as it is first reading and I was studying for 4th year in school as well,so it was very exhausting.
-after finishing this phase ,I took NBME 1 and it was 57 mistakes,it was fine for me to continue
-I had to stop USMLE for 2 months because of my final exams and of course I forgot many concepts
-After finishing final exams in july ,I started the dedicated period,I revised FA in about a month and did Rx and I found it so direct and easy one
-I took NBME 2 and it was 28 mistakes , so I am right and preparation goes well
-I took NBME 12 to make sure that my level deserves this number of mistakes and not cheating myself by taking old NBMEs and thanks to Allah it goes well
-I revised FA one more time with solving NBMEs from time to time as I mentioned previously
-long periods of studying may get you bored ,depressed ,...etc and since I found myself partially ready,I decided to take NBME 18 online as it is the most difficult one, and after it I will decide if I will book exam or not
-I got 242 and it was ok as it is the most difficult one and I still have 2 or 3 months to study before exam,so I registered to ECFMG and booked exam
-I want to make sure that I am ready so I took UWSA1 and thanks to Allah it was 264,after this I raised my target to 260 instead of 250 ðŸ˜ƒ
-I heard about b&b videos and used it in some topics that I believed I am weak and wished I knew it before ðŸ˜ž
-I went through UW q bank for the second time but random, online this time in less than a month with 90% correct
-after UW I did minor sources as 100 cases ethics,UW biostatistics review&anatomy shelf notes
-during the last 3 week ,I revised FA for the 4th time but unfortunately ,I did not have time to revise my UW notes
-In last week,I did NBME 19 &17, UWSA2,free120 and thanks to Allah I did well
-Exam night I revised highly volatile topics as lysosomal storage diseases,milestones,...etc
-------------------------------------
Exam day :
-I slept 7 hours only, I wanted to sleep more, however I was fresh
-the hour before exam was the toughest one during my whole journey
-I started 8:45 and took 2block >rest>2blocks>rest>1block>rest>1block>rest>1block
-first 4 blocks were average but last 3 ones was tough
-time was enough for first 4 block ,I finished 10-15 minutes early.But only 5 minutes early in last 3 blocks
- I marked about 15 q in each block and managed to revise all of them in first 4 blocks but not all in last 3 blocks
-most questions were of average length like UW with some longer or shorter
-FA&UW cover about 80% of the exam
-------------------------------------
tips:
-sleep well,sleep well,sleep well,I can not emphasize this more
-UW-as everyone know- is the most important q bank but if u have time I recommend Rx and if so,start with Rx not UW
-studying for step1 6 hours a day for 8 months is better than 3 hours a day for 16 months(of course if it is possible)
-new NBMEs are more important but if you have time ,DO all NBMES
-Do UW at least twice
-DO NOT MISS PATHOMA
-----------------------------------
plan I would follow, if I knew this experience:
-FA+b&b+pathoma
-Rx
-FA+UW (systems)
-FA + minor sources
-UW (random)
-FA+UW notes
-real exam
- one NBME from time to time
----------------------------------
I would thank Allah for this generosity ,my parents for all what they did for me without which I would have never achieve anything,friends for mental and physical support
Allah bless you❤️
I hope you all good luck ðŸ™‚
if you have any question,feel free to ask in a comment (no messages please)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY Step 2 CK Experience 284 Medhat Farwati

Dear (future) Doctors, I am Medhat Farwati, a Syrian graduate from Aleppo University, Faculty of Medicine. Hereby I share with you my experience with Step 2 CK. 1. Score: 284 2. Self-assessments: UWSA 1: 273 (2 months out) UWSA 2: 276 ( 1 week out) NBME 7: 277 (1 week out) NBME 8: 280 (3 days out) 3. Preparation time: After I was done with Step 1, I moved to the US as a postdoctoral research fellow. As such, I realized it is going to be challenging to navigate my research du ties, US rotations, Step 2 CS exam, and Step 2 CK preparation. Collectively, the actual preparation time for CK was 12 months with an average studying time ranging from 4 hours a day for the first 10 months to 8 hours a day for the last 2 months prior to my exam. 4. Materials used: UW Step 2 CK (x3) UW Step 3 (x2) Kaplan Q bank (x1) Internal Medicine Essentials Q bank De Virgilio (surgery textbook) Up to date and Medscape Google, YouTube, and Siri 😊 UW Step 2: Your baseline. Most people preparing for CK rega

USMLE step 1: 250

Got my score this week : 250 Here is my Step 1 experience, I’ve read so many in the past and they really helped me, so here’s mine, hope it helps you out! Resources: 1. UW qbank x 2 2. FIRST AID x 3 3. Kaplan 2014 live online lectures 4. Kaplan lecture notes 5. Pathoma 6. Goljan Audio lectures 7. Sketchy Micro and Pharmacology 8. B&B videos 9. Rx qbank 7 day free trial 10. Biostats- Randy Neil Videos and UW biostats 11. 100 cases of Ethics by Conrad Fischer and 30 cases of ethics by dirty USMLE 12. Anatomy shelf notes Nbme 16 240 (3 mo. before) Nbme 17 244 (2 mo. before) UWSA 1 252 (1.5 mo. before) UWSA 2 258 (1 mo. before) Nbme 19 238 (3 wks before) Nbme 15 262 (2 wks before Nbme 18 250 (1 wk before) Free 120 83% What I did in the last week 1. Reviewed FA last time focused on weak areas, skimmed though others and made a 1 page list of the stuff I couldn’t remember. 2. Read UW notes that I made. 3. Did nbme 18 4. Reviewed sketchy images 2 Days before: 1. Heart sounds

Guidance of USMLE

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates : 1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days. 2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment. 3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents. 4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic informati