Skip to main content

Talha Munir: Journey of an IMG to reach 250+




First of all I want to thank Allah Almighty for achieving my goal. I have been an average student in my medical years and never in a million years i thought i would even take steps let alone score 252.
And typing a review was just as much unlikely for me to do ( my friends will attest to that)but just to give back to the online community which helped me so much i am writing this. Hopefully it will help someone score more and achieve their desired schedules.
Sources Used (From most important to least one)
1) Uworld (For Step 1 & Biostats review) , FA 2017 ,KAPLAN NOTES 2016
2) Kaplan Videos
3) Pathoma videos and Book
4)Board and beyond videos for Biostats and epidemiology
5) 100 Cases by Conrad Fischer
6) FA express videos (All)
Lets dive into how I prepared for my exams . It took me 11 months after completing my house job to prepare for them. Before I started I didn’t have enough concepts about subjects that meant i had to start from scratch. For that i started kaplan and kaplan videos. Kaplan was the one thing that worked for me . I usually did find myself going back to the basics when i didn’t understand any topic. In 3 months i did finish my first read of kaplan with pathoma videos and then i started First aid. Giving it a quick read in a month i was ready to buy uworld. I finished uworld first time in 3 months with 79% average.
Then i gave nbme 13 to assess how is my preparation i scored 242 (2 months before exam)
This gave me confidence in what am i studying and how am I studying it .
Other scores :
NBME 16 : 252 (~ 2 Months)
NBME 19 : 236 (~ 2 Months)
NBME 15 : 244 (~1.5 Months)
NBME 17 : 252 (~1.5 Months)
UWSA1 : 273 (~1 Month)
NBME 18 : 252 ( 10 Days)
UWSA 2 : 264 ( 3 Days)
UW 1st Round : 79.6 %
UW 2nd Round : 96.7 %
Fast forward to may, i was ready to give my exams but ramzan was just starting
So I scheduled my exam for 20th june
In the last 2 months I made it my routine to do blocks of uworld and nbme online .
In retrospect i should have opted for some other Q bank because I remembered most of my mcqs from UW
So 2nd read of uworld was not helpful in my opinion.
Nbme was something that was very predictable for me especially nbme 18
I did go for free 120 at prometric centre and scored 88%
The point of free 120 at prometric centre was to get familiarise myself to the environment of test which was a good decision .I was very nervous on the day i had to give free 120 than i was at the day of actual exam. At exam day i was calm and not worried at all which in my opinion helped me a great deal .
A day before exam my main goal was to get sleep. Because in all the reviews everyone stressed on how important is a relaxed brain is.I did manage to get 7 hours of sleep in .
Woke up fresh and ready .
Reached prometric and was very ready mentally.
Time was enough.Did each block in 45-50 minutes.Took 10-20 min breaks after every block and there was no need to manage my time attentively .
When i left exam hall a big block was lifted and i felt relieved.
Time to wait for result was filled with anxiety thoughts of what if did crossed my mind on daily basis but i tried my best to keep myself calm .
Some advices I want to give from my experience :
1) Find Your own way to study , dont follow anyone blindly.DESIGN YOUR OWN PATH.
2)You have to be fair with yourself and know how strong are your basic knowledge. For me Kaplan was much more essential than even FA, because it helps setting the stage, it gives you the understanding of the materials. Everybody is saying here that Step 1 is not knowing but understanding and I can’t emphasize it enough how much it is the truth! FA is NOT for Studying it is for reviewing the basic stuff . Use it carefully , if you are aiming for high scores then dont think that FA is all you need (Maybe FA is enough for some people who already knew basic stuff but it wasnt for me)
3) Many have said that going through UWORLD twice is recommended but personally I think that as long as you do it properly and without rushing for the first time, a 2nd bank might be a better investment (I did uword twice but now I regret it . Extra qbank might be a better option)
4)Don’t give up on your dreams no matter what everyone says. Your dreams and hard work defines you and keep praying. Allah will never waste your hard work.
BEST OF LUCK !!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY Step 2 CK Experience 284 Medhat Farwati

Dear (future) Doctors, I am Medhat Farwati, a Syrian graduate from Aleppo University, Faculty of Medicine. Hereby I share with you my experience with Step 2 CK. 1. Score: 284 2. Self-assessments: UWSA 1: 273 (2 months out) UWSA 2: 276 ( 1 week out) NBME 7: 277 (1 week out) NBME 8: 280 (3 days out) 3. Preparation time: After I was done with Step 1, I moved to the US as a postdoctoral research fellow. As such, I realized it is going to be challenging to navigate my research du ties, US rotations, Step 2 CS exam, and Step 2 CK preparation. Collectively, the actual preparation time for CK was 12 months with an average studying time ranging from 4 hours a day for the first 10 months to 8 hours a day for the last 2 months prior to my exam. 4. Materials used: UW Step 2 CK (x3) UW Step 3 (x2) Kaplan Q bank (x1) Internal Medicine Essentials Q bank De Virgilio (surgery textbook) Up to date and Medscape Google, YouTube, and Siri 😊 UW Step 2: Your baseline. Most people preparing for CK rega

USMLE step 1: 250

Got my score this week : 250 Here is my Step 1 experience, I’ve read so many in the past and they really helped me, so here’s mine, hope it helps you out! Resources: 1. UW qbank x 2 2. FIRST AID x 3 3. Kaplan 2014 live online lectures 4. Kaplan lecture notes 5. Pathoma 6. Goljan Audio lectures 7. Sketchy Micro and Pharmacology 8. B&B videos 9. Rx qbank 7 day free trial 10. Biostats- Randy Neil Videos and UW biostats 11. 100 cases of Ethics by Conrad Fischer and 30 cases of ethics by dirty USMLE 12. Anatomy shelf notes Nbme 16 240 (3 mo. before) Nbme 17 244 (2 mo. before) UWSA 1 252 (1.5 mo. before) UWSA 2 258 (1 mo. before) Nbme 19 238 (3 wks before) Nbme 15 262 (2 wks before Nbme 18 250 (1 wk before) Free 120 83% What I did in the last week 1. Reviewed FA last time focused on weak areas, skimmed though others and made a 1 page list of the stuff I couldn’t remember. 2. Read UW notes that I made. 3. Did nbme 18 4. Reviewed sketchy images 2 Days before: 1. Heart sounds

Guidance of USMLE

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates : 1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days. 2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment. 3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents. 4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic informati