Skip to main content

USMLE Step 1 Experience (262) by Rizwan Zafar



I am writing this experience because I think it might help others avoid the mistakes I made during my preparation. I started preparing for step 1 after my final year result was declared, and I took a long time preparing for it. I did all  subjects from kaplan except pathology, for which i did goljan and it was a big mistake as it took me more than 3 months to complete it along with my medicine rotation and in the end I almost retained none of it. I hadn't completed my first read until the end of my 3rd rotation of house job i.e 9 months for the first read with house job.  I read every subject from kaplan(except patho) along with video lectures for most subjects followed by relevant First aid portion after each subject. For patho I did goljan along with its lectures followed by first aid of patho.

           Then I  left my last rotation of house job in view of speeding up the things a bit (no use at all) only to resume it 4 months later. I did the 2nd read slowly (yeah, even slower than the first one). I used to do every subject from kaplan then First aid, then offline Uworld. After Uworld of each subject, I used to do kaplan and First aid again very quickly, knowing that I would not turn to kaplan again. For patho I did pathoma with lectures, then first aid then Uworld, then pathoma and F.A again. I used to note the questions from uworld which i did wrong, or found difficult.I also noted important points on F.A. 2nd read took a long time but i was confident that this time was not wasted(unlike first read and that goljan thing).
         After 2nd read I did  First aid comprehensively, trying to memorize all the notes I took from uworld, Took me about 20 days. Then i did uworld offline again. I tried to do all the questions and read explanations of the ones noted in 2nd read but really for most of the subjects I had to do the selected questions only. After this, I got the most awesome and fastest study partner one could have. Although we only did one read of F.A and a few NBMEs together, it was very important for me to summarize all I had read. He also made up for what i lacked from not doing online uworld, and he also told me clinically relevant important points. I cant thank him enough.
                   After this read I had the exam coming up about 10 days later, I tried to study F.A quickly again with mixed success. I stopped studying one day prior to the exam.

EXAM DAY:
              
 On the exam day I was fairly relaxed and confident even though I had managed only a four hour sleep in the night. I had my expectations, yes, but I also knew I would see many questions beyond my scope. The first block was a bit difficult but I thought I should at least get the easier ones right and move on. I did that block, like most others, 10 mins before time and concentrated on the marked ones. Most of them ultimately made sense and I was satisfied after this block. I found most of the other blocks easier than the first block, and most of the NBMEs. I took break after every block, tried not to lose concentration, had a red bull drink midway through the exam, and told myself this will be over soon. and before long I was walking out of the prometric with a sense of satisfaction in my heart and chocolate of a random person in my hand which i mistakenly took for mine and I confess this online and I apologize for my mistake Mr/Ms Choclate's owner. if you know that person please let him know so I have satisfaction in my heart.
                This is only my experience and I would not expect anyone to follow the way i studied, but rather to take what suits him/her out of this experience, and of course I cant guide anyone but I can only try to help.

       To summarize all

Resources used
  • Kaplan with video lectures except pathology (i read them twice, and I think microbiology should be done from kaplan in all of the reads one gives to kaplan, and lectures were v. helpful)
  • Pathoma with lectures (did it only once)
  • Uworld (did offline only, twice)
  • 100 cases of ethics by Conrad
  • First aid (most heavily used book, and i found it extremely helpful, it covered most of the topics i saw on the exam)
  • High yield biostats(not helpful, kaplan plus uworld is enough for biostats)
  • Goljan(very lengthy and hard to retain, pathoma is more than cool for step 1, but goljan's lectures are good and helpful, i didn't do the slides)

Assessment exams

I didn't take any online NBME, i did NBME 3 after my 3rd first aid read, during our combined study  , we did NBME 5, 13 and 15 together by discussing the MCQs. I took NBME 7 offline for assessment, got my estimated score to be 260+ although there was no reliable key, i also solved NBME 11, and i think all forms from 7 to 16 should be attempted, I also did FRED to familiarize myself with the interface used in computer based test as i had taken none of the online exams.

Things I did right
  • A slow and comprehensive 2nd read
  • used First aid as the primary source
  • got myself a cool study partner, for the terminal revision, discussed first aid with him
  • listened to the lectures videos by kaplan( especially by Dr. Lionel Raymon, Dr.Steven Daugherty and, of course, Dr. Conrad)
Things I did wrong
  • A slow first read (i think 3 months are the maximum time that should be given to it)
  • tried goljan for patho (i have got nothing against the book, its an excellent review but time taking)
  • took many breaks, which decreased my momentum
  • took a break in my house job

      It isn't easy especially when you take a break and then get anxious over all the time wasted. But i had the best group of friends one can have. My family supported me, esp my Dad, no matter how long i took for preparation. Yes, i got a bit lucky, and got more than what I deserved. I couldnt have done this without the support i got from my family and friends, I cant thank them enough.

            Again, it's only my experience and I can't guide anyone but try to help, for I am myself a student. I hope this helps anyone. Stay cool.

RIZWAN ZAFAR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY Step 2 CK Experience 284 Medhat Farwati

Dear (future) Doctors, I am Medhat Farwati, a Syrian graduate from Aleppo University, Faculty of Medicine. Hereby I share with you my experience with Step 2 CK. 1. Score: 284 2. Self-assessments: UWSA 1: 273 (2 months out) UWSA 2: 276 ( 1 week out) NBME 7: 277 (1 week out) NBME 8: 280 (3 days out) 3. Preparation time: After I was done with Step 1, I moved to the US as a postdoctoral research fellow. As such, I realized it is going to be challenging to navigate my research du ties, US rotations, Step 2 CS exam, and Step 2 CK preparation. Collectively, the actual preparation time for CK was 12 months with an average studying time ranging from 4 hours a day for the first 10 months to 8 hours a day for the last 2 months prior to my exam. 4. Materials used: UW Step 2 CK (x3) UW Step 3 (x2) Kaplan Q bank (x1) Internal Medicine Essentials Q bank De Virgilio (surgery textbook) Up to date and Medscape Google, YouTube, and Siri 😊 UW Step 2: Your baseline. Most people preparing for CK rega

USMLE step 1: 250

Got my score this week : 250 Here is my Step 1 experience, I’ve read so many in the past and they really helped me, so here’s mine, hope it helps you out! Resources: 1. UW qbank x 2 2. FIRST AID x 3 3. Kaplan 2014 live online lectures 4. Kaplan lecture notes 5. Pathoma 6. Goljan Audio lectures 7. Sketchy Micro and Pharmacology 8. B&B videos 9. Rx qbank 7 day free trial 10. Biostats- Randy Neil Videos and UW biostats 11. 100 cases of Ethics by Conrad Fischer and 30 cases of ethics by dirty USMLE 12. Anatomy shelf notes Nbme 16 240 (3 mo. before) Nbme 17 244 (2 mo. before) UWSA 1 252 (1.5 mo. before) UWSA 2 258 (1 mo. before) Nbme 19 238 (3 wks before) Nbme 15 262 (2 wks before Nbme 18 250 (1 wk before) Free 120 83% What I did in the last week 1. Reviewed FA last time focused on weak areas, skimmed though others and made a 1 page list of the stuff I couldn’t remember. 2. Read UW notes that I made. 3. Did nbme 18 4. Reviewed sketchy images 2 Days before: 1. Heart sounds

Guidance of USMLE

Since I was so confused during the process of application for USMLE step 1 exam, I thought I should note down the step by step procedure for IMG graduates : 1. Get ECFMG ID. Log into ECFMG website and create an account with basic info. Then you will be mailed ECFMG /USMLE ID in 3-5 days. 2. Application for ECFMG certification. At this point, you will be asked to pay 125$. You will get the form 186 to download as soon as you make the payment. 3. Get your passport ready. You will be asked to notarise the form 186 via notarycam. The procedures are well mentioned in the website. You need to upload the first page of form 186 and copy of your passport in the notarycam website. You will be asked to get an appointment for notarycam after you upload these documents. 4. Notarycam personnel will fix an appointment as per your convenience. Keep your passport handy. It will last for 3-4 minutes. It is very simple step. The personnel will verify the passport and your basic informati