Skip to main content

Old Graduate Mom Scored 252!



I am finally in the position to write about my experience and feeling so happy that can write as an old graduate and a mom. 
In short:

1. Study materials:

-
 HY gross anatomy
-
 HY neuroanatomy
-
 BRS behavioral + Kaplan lectures
- Kaplan biochemistry + Kaplan lectures
-
 BRS physiology + Kaplan lectures
- Goljan RR 3rd ed + Goljan audio
- Embryology - only FA
- Pharmacology - FA plus Kaplan lectures
- Microbiology -
 CMMRS
- Immunology -
 Levinson

Actually, I was following
 the Taus method and I think it's great.

2. Tests:

UW cumulative 78% first pass
NBME 15- 254 , 1.5 month before the exam
NBME 13- 254 , 1 week before
I think that my scores didn't improve because I had a minor medical procedure and also came to the USA two weeks before the exam, and had to take care of my child, so didn't have enough time for studying at the end.
The most important thing for me is starting doing questions as soon as possible. I was doing UW 2007 offline mode, subject wise and Kaplan 2010, random, just to revise. I was doing questions almost every evening, one block at least.

3. Exam

Pathology, pathology, pathology! But a lot of neurology slides, a lot of behavioral and microbiology too. Almost everything except for embryology. I wish I could have known that at the beginning
 http://www.usmle-forums.com/images/smilies/newset/smile-5.gif
My advice, regarding the day of the exam is- first go through all the questions, and then return to questions that you don't know and don't understand. Don't wast your time thinking about some equations, statistical problems etc. Time flies on the exam. Mark only what you really don't know.

And good luck to you all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Step 2 CK Experience (280)--vvimp

• Background: Hello everyone. This is Hasan Alarouri, a Jordanian graduate of Jordan University of Science and Technology (2017). I started my dedicated preparation for Step 2 CK during my internship, and the total duration was around 15 months. Owing to how helpful this group had been during my preparation, and the rarity of experiences similar to mine (Step 2 CK prior to Step 1), I thought I’ll have to share my experience with you. • USMLE Scores: Step 1: not done yet Step 2 CK: 280 Step 2 CS: Passed • Self assessment scores: Free120: 96% (5 mistakes); 5 months prior to exam NBME 4: 6 mistakes (offline); 4 months prior to exam NBME 7: 13 mistakes (offline); 3 months prior to exam NBME 6: 5 mistakes (offline); 2.5 months prior to exam NBME 8: 279 (online; 8 mistakes); 2 months prior to exam UWSA1: 286 (10 mistakes); 1 month prior to exam UWSA2: 274 (15 mistakes); 2 weeks prior to exam • Preparation duration and hours studied each day: The total duration was 15. This was supposed ...

MRCS PART A – EXPERIENCE

DURATION OF STUDY – 3.5-4 months (with work )  Pattern of study  Paper 1 ( Basic sciences )  Anatomy – Emrcs with NASA khan notes ( best part about these notes are he copied all the colourful pics from Snell’s anatomy along with emrcs theory ) . Make small pics for imagination of anatomical relationship .... A big chunk of questions are from anatomy , this needs to be done in a crystal clearway .. Physiology – raftry with emrcs  Pathology – raftry few topics and emrcs Pharma and micro – emrcs  I read raftry for physio complete twice , patho and micro once only  Biostatistics – emrcs  For basic sciences reading emrcs with its theory is more than enough with few references from text books to make the concepts clear  Fawzia sheets for paper one is very very very important , somehow in every session of this examination RCS is putting almost 50-60% paper from these sheets ... Don’t leave them .... Read them at least three times .... Pape...

‎Rohit Kulkarni‎ ------ MATCH 2019

Step 1 252, Step 2CK 252, CS pass.  All on first attempt. Step 3 not given.  2016 YOG. No research or publications. No home residency.  Non US-IMG from India. Visa needed. I applied for 200 IM(categorical)+ 58 GS( both Categorical/ prelim)programs. I had made up my mind to rank programs as follows, prior to receiving interviews: Any GS categorical Hospital > High tier GS prelim> IM high/mid/low tier categorical> GS mid/low tier hospital. Interviews 7 IM(6 through main match+ 1 prematch)/ 1 categorical GS /4 prelim GS / 1 categorical GS on waitlist which I didn’t interview at. -Easton Hospital categorical GS -Mayo Clinic Rochester prelim GS -Cleveland clinic prelim GS -Oklahoma university IM -Cleveland clinic Fairview IM -St. Barnabas MC IM -ETSU IM -McLaren Flint IM -Redmond Regional MC(through contacts)IM -UIC metropolitan GS prelim -Maimonides MC GS prelim -Creighton Omaha GS( waitlist which I didn’t interview at) Matched at St. Barnabas Medical Center, Liv...